Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pizza Factory Bread Sticks

My parent's anniversary was coming up, and I wanted to make them something really special for dinner. This was one of the things I made. Super good. It's a bit involved though. 

1 T. yeast
2 T. sugar
1 1/2 C. warm water
1 T. oil
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 C. flour
3/4 C. melted butter - divided
3/8  tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary 
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp. Season All
1 T. Parmesan cheese
8  - 1/4 inch wooden dowels cut into 18 inch lengths (craft store)

Soak the dowels in oil for about a day. Then bake at 475 for 10 minutes. Let them cool completely before you use them. (This is what the guy at pizza factory told me to do to prep my dowels, so it's not just crazy stuff I tried on my own.) 

Mix the yeast, sugar and water and let sit for a couple of minutes to dissolve the yeast.  Add the oil, salt and flour and knead by hand or with your mixer with a dough hook for about 5 minutes. Cover and let rise until double (about 45 minutes). Divide dough into 8 equal partsLightly flour your hands and roll the dough into about an 16-18 inch long "snake". Wrap the dough around the dowel loosely. Pinch to secure the dough at the top and bottom.  Leave about 5 inches at the end of the dowelHang over the edge of a 9x13 inch cake
pan with all of the dough inside the pan. Let them rise until double (again, about 45 minutes). Brush with 1/4 C. melted butter. Bake at 375 for about 15- 20 minutes or until just golden. Meanwhile mix the remaining 1/2 C. melted butter, seasonings and parmesan cheese. When the breadsticks come out of the
oven, brush them with the seasoned melted butter mixture.

I wrapped the dough tighter than this, there were no gaps where you could see the wood, but I think the visual on how to hang the breadsticks was important to see. And, since I was making these for my parents' anniversary dinner, I didn't remember to take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment